- Q1.How have the most recently revised Guidelines been established and revised?
- Q2.How different are the NEXI Guidelines from those of the Japan Bank for International Cooperation (JBIC)? (Do you have any plan to develop common guidelines with JBIC?)
- Q3.As NEXI is an institution working to promote Japanese trade, shouldn't NEXI give sufficient consideration to helping Japanese companies maintain international competitiveness?
- Q4.With regard to expressions such as "environmental guidelines" and "environmental and social considerations," how is the term "environment" defined in the Guidelines?
- Q5.In the Guidelines, "confirmation of environmental and social considerations" and "environmental review" appear frequently. In what sense are these used?
- Q6.The Guidelines paragraph 2. stipulates that NEXI confirms whether the project sponsors implement appropriate environmental and social considerations, so as to ....by the projects relating to insurance (two years or more) services from NEXI. Regarding proj
- Q7.What provisions do the Guidelines contain to reflect the opinions of local residents affected by the project?
- Q8.When should the screening form be submitted?
- Q9.Is it possible to submit the screening form in English?
- Q10.After screening information has been made public, is there any possibility that NEXI may change the classification of the project? And how will such classification information be disclosed?
- Q11.If a significant adverse impact on the environment becomes known after initial classification, and this leads to a change in classification from Category B to A, will the project need to meet requirements for Category A projects under the Guidelines?
- Q12.With regard to classification in the paragraph 3. (2) of the Guidelines, how do you decide whether "the involvement of the Applicants is only a minor part of a project"?
- Q13.Under the Guidelines, would projects that will acquire equity interest without additional capital investment be automatically categorized as Category C?
- Q14.With regard to classification in the Guidelines, "SDR 10 million" is used as a threshold. What exchange rate is applied for converting SDR to yen?
- Q15.There are some cases where JBIC and NEXI provide different amounts of financing and insurance coverage, respectively, for the same project. Will this result in the same project being classified in different categories, depending on the organization?
- Q16.Regarding the "sensitive areas" that should be considered at the time of categorization, "Natural Environment" of Sensitive Areas in the paragraph 3. (2) of the Guidelines stipulates, "habitats of rare species requiring protection under domestic legislati
- Q17.What is the criterion for making environmental and social considerations in an environmental review?
- Q18.Specifically, what are the World Bank's Safeguard Policies and IFC's Performance Standards?
- Q19.What kinds of international standards and good practices are referred to in the Guidelines?
- Q20. If a third party, with intent to thwart the project, provides NEXI with information which that third party cannot validate, how will NEXI deal with the information?
- Q21.From what sources does NEXI collect environmental information on projects?
- Q22.What is the scope of the stakeholders described in the Guidelines?
- Q23.Specifically, where is "Japan's national contact point on the OECD Guidelines for Multinational Enterprises" described in the paragraph 3. (3) of the Guidelines?
- Q24.Who will conduct environmental assessment and monitoring?
- Q25.Is the information NEXI seeks on the environment actually available?
- Q26.How do the Guidelines address human rights issues?
- Q27.What should be considered with regard to gender, children's rights, HIV/AIDS, and other communicable diseases?
- Q28.According to the Exhibit 1 (3) of the Guidelines, "community health, safety, and security" is listed as one issue of the scope of impacts to be examined. What does NEXI confirm, in particular, regarding the use of security personnel in this respect?
- Q29.According to the Exhibit 1 (3) of the Guidelines, "While air could include greenhouse gases (GHG), specific requirements for environmental and social considerations on this issue are to be made based on the Common Approaches." What provisions exist in the
- Q30.What is the "associated facilities" expressed in the Exhibit 1 (3) of the Guidelines?
- Q31.The Guidelines Exhibit 1 (6) states, "critical natural habitats (including critical forests) and "natural habitats (including natural forests)." Please identify specifically what they are. Also, please provide specific examples of "significant conversion
- Q32.What does NEXI confirm in the case of projects which involve involuntary resettlement?
- Q33.The Guidelines Exhibit 1 (7) states, "It is desirable that the resettlement action plan include elements required under the standards of international financial institutions which NEXI benchmarks in its environmental reviews." What are the elements speci
- Q34.The Guidelines Exhibit 1 (8) states, "It is desirable that the indigenous peoples plan include the elements required under the standards of international financial institutions which NEXI benchmarks in its environmental reviews. " What are the elements s
- Q35.The Guidelines Exhibit 1 (8) states, "when a project may have adverse impacts on indigenous peoples' various rights in relation to land and resources", "free, prior, and informed consents must be obtained." Specifically, what kinds of procedure and agreem
- Q36.The Guidelines Exhibit 1 (8) states, "when a project may have adverse impacts on indigenous peoples' various rights in relation to land and resources, such rights must be respected in accordance with the spirit of the relevant international declarations a
- Q37. The Guidelines Exhibit 2 states, "consultation with stakeholders, such as local residents, must take place after sufficient information has been disclosed. Records, etc. of such consultations must be prepared." Will NEXI confirm whether consultations ha
- Q38.The Guidelines Exhibit 2 states, "It is desirable that ESIA reports cover the items stipulated in the Common Approaches." Which part of the Common Approaches is referred?
- Q39.In cases where the project may have significant impacts on local residents around project site, should interviews with the affected people be conducted during the project site visit in environmental review?
- Q40.The Guidelines require disclosure of an Environmental and Social Impact Assessment (ESIA) report, but in some countries the disclosure of the ESIA reports is not legally required. How will NEXI deal with this issue?
- Q41.How will results of environmental reviews be used in the decision-making/insurance contract process?
- Q42.The Guidelines paragraph 4. states, "in exceptional cases where, given the nature of the project, documents necessary for environmental reviews are not available at the time when the decision on the commitment issuance is required, NEXI may make a decisio
Disclosure of Information
- Q45.What is the idea underlying the provision on information disclosure under the Guidelines?
- Q46.Where does information disclosure under the Guidelines stand in relation to information disclosure under the "Law Concerning Access to Information Held by Incorporated Administrative Agencies, Etc." (the "Information Disclosure Law")?
- Q47.Are information disclosure provisions of the Guidelines in line with OECD Common Approaches?
- Q48.Do the Guidelines stipulate any sort of information disclosure to be made during the stage of monitoring too?
- Q49.The Guidelines paragraph 6. states, "NEXI will strive for further information disclosure through its environmental review and monitoring by encouraging the project sponsors through the Applicants." Specifically, what information do you have in mind?
- Q50.What is the timing of information disclosure and what is included in the disclosed information?
- Q51.The Guidelines paragraph 6. (2) states, "Of the documents other than the ESIA reports, etc. obtained by NEXI from the Applicants for confirming environmental and social considerations." What kinds of documents does this refer to?
- Q52.Can't environmental review results be disclosed at an early date?
- Q53.Will the insurance contract be made public after its signing, just like results of environmental review?
- Q54.How long will be the disclosure period for screening and environmental review results?
- Q55.Isn't it inappropriate to exempt some information from disclosure on the grounds of business confidentiality?
- Q56.In many cases, the local residents affected by the project may have no access to the NEXI website. How can these people obtain information on the project?
Ensuring Compliance with the Guidelines
- Q57.The Guidelines stipulate, "In order to ensure its compliance with the Guidelines, NEXI accepts objections regarding its non-compliance with the Guidelines, and takes the necessary action." Specifically how will NEXI take necessary action?
- Q58.Is it possible to submit objections before conclusion of the insurance contract concerned?
- Q61.The Exhibit 1 (1) of the Guidelines states, "...a committee of experts may be formed to seek their opinions, in order to increase accountability." Does this mean NEXI may form a committee of experts to seek the opinions of outside experts?
- Q62.Who bears the expenses for environmental review?
- Q63.In the Guidelines, the phrase "when necessary" is sometimes used. Why is it used?
- Q64.Regarding nuclear power plant projects, how are checks for ensuring safety and so on, in the export of nuclear power generation-related materials and equipment, being carried out?
- Q65.Please provide specific points to be checked in safety and other perspectives by the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry.